Sunday, August 10, 2008

If My People...

If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

2 Chronicles 7:14

It all starts with humility. I did not fully grasp the relationship between prayer and humility until I took a closer look at this verse. It is in humility that we recognize our frailty and come to the Lord for healing, guidance, and simply to worship him. It is in humility that we recognize our limitations and our need for someone greater that we are. In addition, God brings in another dimension to the believer’s experience; and turn away from their wicked ways. As a young Seventh-day Adventist I’ve had to struggle with the idea of faith, works, grace, law and their impact on our eternal destiny. Here God is saying “yes, I have forgiven you” but he adds, “leave the things that keep you enslaved to the world. Come and experience a fuller, more complete relationship with me. Let go of the things that entangle you.” Then I will hear from heaven; let’s commune, “let’s talk. I understand you and I am able and willing to forgive you.” God doesn’t just stop there. For most contemporary Christians, it would have been sufficient for God to end His statement there. However, He takes it to the next level. This gets really exciting! But sadly enough, this is where most of us fail to grasp the extent to which God wants to be involved in our lives…and will heal their land. What a promise! God is not only concerned out the state of our hearts (humility); He is not just interested in our devotion and worship (prayer). Yes, He wants to commune with us (seek my face) and forgive our sins, but just as important to Him is the healing of our land. God wants to restore broken relationships. He cares for the environment. He is pleased to see nature working in perfect harmony as He originally intended from the beginning of times. God is a promoter of social order and justice, peace and harmony across social and racial boundaries.

For most of us and especially for me it is easy to accept and even attempt to implement the idea of humility, prayer and devotion, communion with God, and accept the forgiveness of my sins and the healing of the land. The biggest struggle, however, is to turn away from my wicked ways. I often find myself questioning God’s involvement in my life. Like many believers I ask why my prayers are not answered and why the land is not healed. Looking at the world we live in today it is safe to assume believers across the globe are asking the same questions. I’m not a philosopher and I my best attempts at being a theologian failed. I cannot come up with a do-it-yourself kit for letting go of your wicked ways. For it is clear that God rewards those who are faithful to him and live a life that is in accordance with his precepts. In my moments of confusion and despair; when I feel like I’m way too tangled up to come out of my mess and be heard from heaven, I say a prayer and I invite you to say this prayer with me. “ Dear God, you have promised that if your people, who are called by your name, shall humble themselves, and pray and seek your face, and turn away from their wicked ways; then you will hear from heaven and forgive their sin, and heal their land. Lord, come and heal my heart as you rain down your blessings on the land. Bring me into closer communion with you as I daily seek your face. Pull me out of the mess I created, from the sin that so easily entangles. I claim your promise that in my weakness I am strong through the blood of your son Jesus Christ. In His name.”

No comments: