Sunday, April 09, 2006

Vietnam


I went to Vietnam in December 2005 after spending 4 months in the Philippines and a week in Singapore. The four months in the Philippines were good and meaningful as they turned out to be a defining time in my life. After creating some good friendships and finding a community in which I fit in well, it was time to move again. This time with a slightly different purpose. I headed to Vietnam to work with ADRA Vietnam as their Public Relations/Programs Support person. Yeah, I know it's a big title, but basically what it meant was that I was in charge of designing and producing PR material, helping with the programs whenever I could, and doing anything that no one else in the office had time to do. My time there was meaningful and productive. I got to learn a lot about the Vietnamese culture and people. Coming in contact with the simple but hardworking people of Vietnam has taught me fight and work harder for myself and for others to have a better life. I especially admire the Vietnamese women who restlessly work in spite of their meager incomes to help and support their homes. My time in Vietnam has also taught me to appreciate and to be content with what I have been blessed with and to use my material possessions and relationships to help others have a better life.

Espy

No comments: