Monday, April 10, 2006

Songkran






It's come to that time the year when Thailand celebrates Songkran. Before you guess what it is I'll just tell you it's not a song festival. As you may have understood from the pictures above, Songkran is a water festival. It also marks the beginning of a new year. It is also a time when the elders are honored. When I think of water and new I can't help but think of the cleasning and refreshing effect of water on creation. During the dry season everything looks dead; and in deed, many things die during that time. But when when the rains come, they bring the the power of recreation. As the country of Thailand faces political strife, I hope that the waters and celebrations of Songkran can refresh the hearts of the Thai people and give them a good and brand new beginning into the new year.

Espy

1 comment:

Sendy Monarrez said...

hey NICE BLOG!!!! I love your pictures.... all of them are really nice.
see you in 5 days!