Saturday, June 10, 2006

First Sabbath in Colombo, Sri Lanka




This morning when I woke up I wasn't sure what to expect from the church service. When I went to meet Steve, he informed me that he did not have access to the vehicle keys. Our plan B was to walk to the main road and take a bus to church. So we headed out - Steve, Zeny, Paul, Anita, Dietmar, and I. After walking for about 200 meters a white van pulled up next to us and offered us a ride to the main road. We thought the journey would end there but this kind Sri Lanka driver took us all the way to church and refused to receive any monetary compensation for the service. That was a blessing in itself. A good way to start the day.

The church wasn't completely full. We had a lively Sabbath school discussion - something I missed for a long time. After church was over, many people came over to greet us. Over all it was a really good church service (except for the fact that I could only understand half of the sermon because of the preacher's strong accent). I got a real blessing nonetheless (I think that's how you spell it). I'm still not familiar with the names here and I can't spell them right. But I konw for sure that the name of the church we attended today was Shiloh church. I hope you enjoy the pictures.


No comments: