Saturday, June 10, 2006

Visit to Hikadula (spelling could be wrong)

We stopped by a fabric store on our way back to Colombo

The Sri Lankan flag

...at the fabric store

More fabric

Cute Sri Lankan kid

This guy's name is Pradip (no kidding!). I met him at the project site. He was kind enough to call me "my friend" and to hold the umbrella for me while I took pictures in the rain.

About 70% of the world's cinamon comes from Sri Lanka. In this picture, a young lady is peeling off the bark of the cinamon tree...

...the bark is later dried to form what we know as cinamon sticks.

An old woman at the project site

Salvation Army officer (left) with project beneficiary (right)

The Indian Ocean

Pradip holding a 1 Rupee coin

Anita conducting an inspection of sceptic tanks

View of the newly built homes from a distance

Anita discussing with one of the contractors

Community members

My first real Sri Lankan breakfast...I had to eat it with my hands!

Hikadula is in the area of Sri Lanka that was hit the hardest by the tsunami. The Salvation Army, ADRA Austria, and private contractors have worked together in providing homes for survivors of the tsunami. This was a monitoring trip and a hand-over ceremony for houses that were completed. Enjoy the pics and send me your commments at esperant@gmail.com

No comments: